No. 11 High Street
Despite its current condition, No. 11 High Street is still a Grade II listed building, dating to the 18th century. Constructed from reddened local brown brick it originally had four storeys with brick bands between floors.
The earliest evidence for occupation so far comes from a trade directory from 1840 which lists John Collins, glass dealer at this address. The shop seems to stay with the Collins family selling china and glass until the end of the 19th century.
Cash & Co. boot manufacturers took over by the time of the 1896 Kelly’s Trade Directory and remained in that building until at least 1940-1. By the 1960s the shop had been taken over by Turners Shoes.
The last known shop to occupy the building was Anglia Discount Stores in the 1990s.